WelcomeGabrielle Raaff (b. 1970) lives and works in the South Peninsula of Cape Town. She graduated with a BFA (HDE) form Stellenbosch University in 1992. Raaff's works begin with a photographic image as a springboard. The medium of photography, and its ability to fix an image is what piques her interest. The artist works with ethereality, using the media of ink, water colour and water based oil as a vehicle for alluding to the form, the function and the emotion of her subject. Raaff is interested in the space and arrangement of local South African neighbourhoods and the everyday goings on of the people that inhabit them. Some works revel in the abstract qualities of the view while recent works play out in a more intimate, painterly relationship with the subject.
She has had five solo shows and exhibited extensively both locally and abroad.
Work on show
- Launch of new work on paper for Uprise Art, New York. View online at www.upriseart.com
- New work on Winter Group Exhibition available to view at 131//A//Gallery in Woodstock, Cape Town till 28th August.
- Works from my solo show "Echoes from the South" available for private viewing.
- Available works for private viewing at Salon 91, Kloof Street.
- Selected monochromatic and water-colour figurative works and water-colour urban landscape works available for viewing.